This short course explores some of the safety issues relating to the use of the internet, particularly by children. Internet usage has increased enormously, but so have reports of the safeguarding issues linked to abuses of internet communication. You will be introduced to some of the risks and dangers, and how to deal with them including where to report online concerns and risks.
- You will learn that it is important to be aware of the risks as well as the benefits in technology
- You will be able to talk to children about keeping themselves safe online
- You will become aware of how important it is to know what children are doing online
Advantages of this course
- This course offers information to parents, grandparents, or anyone who may be concerned about risks a child may encounter on the internet. Many of the dangers online have only existed for a few years, and it is easy to be unaware of terminology and technology that children use every day.
- An internet safety checklist is included which suggests how internet activity should be approached with children of different ages
- The course includes a description of what is meant by such terms as cyberbulling and online radicalisation, together with information on the organisations that exist to tackle these issues
- Additional activities encourage you to reflect on your learning
- There is also suggested extended reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge